Thursday, August 5, 2010

I love to see the temple...


This past weekend, Stephen and I went to the temple to do a session. I haven't done an actual session in a while. We've come to do sealings once in a while, becuase I can usually sneak out of those if um....nature calls. I was really excited to go, and even walking up to the temple, I just felt the Spirit so strongly. I am constantly in awe of the truthfulness of the gospel, and how the Spirit can testify this truth. Even as we approached the temple, and saw the Angel Moroni statue on the top of the spire, I couldn't help but remember the words of one of my favorite Primary songs,



I love to see the temple,
I'm going there someday,
To feel the Holy Spirit,
To listen and to pray.
For the temple is a house of God,
A place of love and beauty.
I'll prepare myself while I am young;
This is my sacred duty.



I love to see the temple.
I'll go inside someday.
I'll covenant with my Father;
I'll promise to obey.
For the temple is a holy place
Where we are sealed together.
As a child of God,
I've learned this truth;
A family is forever.



By the time I was even in the dressing room, my heart was full and my eyes were brimming over with tears. As I was waiting, a mother with a wedding gown in her arms walked in, with her daughter close behind her. As they hung up the white dress in the 'bride' room, I couldn't help but think that someday, I want to be that mom bringing her daughter to the temple to be sealed to a righteous young man for time and all eternity.


As the session continued, I just had this overwhelming feeling of gratitude for my Heavenly Father allowing Stephen and I to be parents to one of His children. It is an intimidating thought to know that it is OUR responsibility to raise a righteous child and teach them all that they must learn to return to our Father in Heaven. But, as fast as that overwhelming feeling crept in, another one took its place; I will NOT be doing this alone. Not only do I have a righteous husband who will help me along the way...but I have a Heavenly Father and a Savior who love me very much and who want to guide me and teach me in any way.
The tears really started to come as I sat in the celestial room and took in the beauty and peace that always comes when in that room. What a sacred calling to be a mother! I know I am just barely embarking on this journey of motherhood, but I feel so blessed to be given this opportunity. I am so grateful to have been surrounded with righteous mothers throughout my life. I had righteous parents who taught me the gospel and helped me gain my own testimony. I had a mother who brought in my wedding dress, as I was preparing to be sealed to my eternal companion. I have sisters who are all righteous mothers and who are a constant example of the mother I want to become.
I am absolutely, and undeniably blessed.

3 comments:

Mary-Liz said...

it truly is a wonderful place to refocus... and remember what a blessing it is to be entrusted with Heavenly Father's children. i know that it must be wonderful to be a mother to a boy, but i feel so much more of a responsibility as a mother to a future mother... i am teaching my girls, as well as generations to come.

Mandy said...

My thoughts exactly, Mary. Thanks for sharing this post, Naomi!

Our Family said...

Well.. I didn't intend on choking up and crying. But thank you for sharing. It IS a wonderful calling and even when you think you can't give anymore.. somehow you do. You will be a GREAT mom.. Welcome to the club!