Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Are you talking to me, or my baby?

I'm only 15 weeks. I'm don't have the tell-tale belly that goes along with pregnant women. I may have a little more gut than before, but I don't think anyone would recognize me as pregnant unless they were looking for it.

Which they do.

I've noticed since i've told people that i'm pregnant, I seem to get the worst eye contact. Whether i'm walking down a hallway at work , or sitting in my chair typing on the computer, or greeting people, I always see their eyes twitch to my stomach every couple of seconds.

What do they expect to happen? A little arm isn't going to come out and wave...my belly isn't going to move (well, unless I laugh)...and I surely hope i'm not going to go into labor any moment.

I just find it a little funny how people almost anticipate something exciting to happen because i'm pregnant. I guess I don't really mind it, because I get to call people out for doing it which can sometimes be fun.

like, "What, you think i'm fat, don't you?" in a quivering voice.

or, "Eyes up here, you perve"

I know it will prob only get worse when I begin to have a round belly to stare at, so I might as well get used to it...and come up with more responses.

I might as well enjoy the humor in it, since i've got 5 more months to go...

4 comments:

Taylor {Sew Much Love} said...

Haha I love your posts Naomi, they're always hilarious! I just hope you know it's only gonna get worse though. When I was working with 3 weeks left until my due date people (especially customers) looked at me like I was a ticking time bomb and was gonna blow any moment! It's fun to throw in a little "whoa!" and grab your belly or something and watch people back away...

Lindsey Bell said...

I always thought it was funny too. They would make eye contact, look at my stomach, and then make eye contact again...Once you get toward the end it is really funny to walk through a mall or something and just watch people's eyes. I probably do the same thing to pregnant people though!

Aimee Phipps said...

That's hilarious! I want to see you so I can stare at your tummy. :) So funny! Wait to you actually do have a baby bump and then you have all these random strangers touching your belly without your permission. Here are some phrases for when that happens... "That's not for you" "Don't touch me there." "That'll be 5 bucks."

Matt Linder said...

Looks are okay. I just think back to all the pervs I had to throat punch for rubbing my wife's baby tummy. That gets old quick. Good exercise but still...