Monday, July 29, 2013

A testimony of Family Home Evening.

Family Home Evening  with a 2 year old is interesting. It is always kept short, and simple. Even still, there is toddler chasing, whining, and repetitive pleas to sit still and listen. Exhausting, to say the least.
 
Sometimes I wonder if ANYTHING that was said actually was absorbed in her head or if it just floated out the other ear.
 
Tonight, we had a lesson on prayer taken from the August Friend magazine (specifically THIS one).
I went through these tips from the article:
 
Lift up your soul in prayer and explain to your Heavenly Father what you are feeling.
Let Him know of the trials you are facing.
Ask that your ears may be opened, that you may hear His voice.
Ask that your eyes may be opened, that you may see His light.
Pour out your heart and express your gratitude.
Pray in Christ’s name for strength and support.
 
We talked about them in a little more detail (well, as much detail as a 2 year old can handle) and then I taught Grace and Stephen the song, "I Pray in Faith".  Grace really took to the song, and requested to sing it multiple times.  Then we asked her to say the closing prayer. (and reminded her to remember what we talked about and sang about in our lesson)
 
"Dear Heavenly Father, we thank thee for this day...thank thee for good dinner...bless us have ears to hear ...bless us have eyes to see...in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."
 
I had tears in my eyes when she looked up from her little folded arms, but I just couldn't help it. She had really listened to what we had taught, and had used it in her prayer without prompting from us. It touched my heart, and it was reaffirmed to me why it is so important to have Family Home Evening. Despite the hard nights, or crying and distractions, something is sinking in.
 
And that makes it all worth it.
 
 

No comments: